Despite the B.C. Health Authority’s loosening of some COVID-19 quarantine restrictions, it is definitely not business as usual for most business sectors in the province including the real estate and rental markets. For the foreseeable future, finding a place to rent will be a very different exercise than it was a few months ago. Thankfully, in terms of payments, many provinces, alongside our federal government are offering some relief to renters, freezing rent increases, banning evictions and, in some jurisdictions, even offering financial benefits to those struggling to meet their payments.
In this article we will share some insights and suggestions on renting during the COVID-19 pandemic covering the following topics:
- Tips for Viewing Properties
- Contract Signing and Rent Payment during the Pandemic
- Tips for Moving Day
Tips for Viewing Properties
If you happen to be in a different country and are interested in renting a room with us, we offer a virtual tour where we can show you the place and answer all the questions you might have.
If you would like to see the room in person, here are some tips for you:
- Take precautions to view as few properties as possible in person.
- Wear a mask to the viewing and try not to touch anything.
- Do not shake hands with the person hosting the viewing and do your best to keep your distance.
Contract Signing and Rent Payment during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Digital contracts and rent payments are a great way to complete rental obligations while maintaining your physical distance.
Here in Vanmates, we facilitate a contact-free contract issuance and signing. Once we have accepted your application, we will send the Lease Contract through Docusign. You can provide your digital signature and send it back through Docusign in return.
When it comes to monthly rental payments, you can pay by automatic payment, (please keep in mind that credit card fee applies); E -transfer without any fee charge or direct deposit. These are a great resource for making rental payments, while the use of cash and cheques are strongly discouraged during this time.
Tips for moving day
- Use your own or new packing supplies. We do not know definitely how long the virus lives on cardboard so we do not recommend using boxes from grocery stores or friends.
- Minimize contact with others. If possible, move on your own. If you need to hire a traditional moving company, keep your distance from the movers.
- Secure moving quotes virtually. Many moving companies are providing estimates using video chat or teleconferencing tools.
- Once you select a mover, inquire after their safety protocols and ask them what you can do on your end to ensure everyone’s safety.
- Verify all move details prior to move day. Establish start and end times and provide gentle reminders for social distancing protocols.
- Prepare adequate sanitizing materials. On move-in day, ensure you have adequate sanitizing materials on hand like hand sanitizer, masks and gloves. Designate one sink area for the movers to use and make sure soap and towels are available.
- Check-in Form. Once you receive your keys and the orientation of your new place, don’t forget to fill in the check-in form online.
Do you have any questions? We would love to hear from you!